Drug counselors die of overdose while helping recovering addicts at rehab facility


Drug counselors overdosed on these drugs
Drug counselors overdosed on these drugs
By: Tanya Clark  WorldWideWeirdNews.com

(Scroll down for video) Two drug counselors who were supposed to help recovering addicts at a rehab, were found passed out from an overdose, according to police in Pennsylvania.

Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan and the West Brandywine Police Department announced that two counselors at an addiction facility in West Brandywine, Chester County, died as a result of opioid overdoses at the group home.

District Attorney Hogan stated: “If anybody is wondering how bad the opioid epidemic has become, this case is a frightening example. The staff members in charge of supervising recovering addicts succumbed to their own addiction and died of opioid overdoses. Opioids are a monster that is slowly consuming our population.”

Emergency responders were called to the Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge (“Freedom Recovery”), which is located at 139 Freedom Valley Circle, on Sunday, at approximately 2:15 p.m.

Freedom Recovery is located in a quiet residential area. The facility is a private residence that is used as a group home or halfway house for individuals struggling with addictions.

The two people worked and lived at the home as on-site counselors. Six men resided at the halfway house as part of their recovery.

The counselors’ duties included establishing daily activities for the residents and keeping appropriate medications for the residents under lock-and-key.

On Sunday, the residents found the counselors in two separate bedrooms, both unresponsive. The residents attempted to revive one of the counselors by using a nasal injection of naloxone, but were unsuccessful.

The residents then called the police and emergency personnel.

Both counselors were pronounced dead at the scene. In the bedrooms of both counselors, the police located used needles and heroin baggies near their bodies.

The baggies were stamped with a “Superman” logo and “Danger/Skull & Crossbones” logo. Preliminary toxicology tests for each of the deceased were positive for heroin and fentanyl.

Vince Brown, Director of the Chester County Department of Drug and Alcohol, stated: “These deaths are tragic examples of the impact that the heroin and opioid epidemic continues to have on our communities. Nobody is immune. It is important to know that help is available and that recovery, from any addiction, is possible and happens every day.”

District Attorney Hogan added: “Anybody who sees baggies in the area with the Superman or Danger logo must be warned to stay away from those drugs. They appear to be heroin laced with fentanyl and are likely to kill anybody who uses them. We will not even let law enforcement handle them without special precautions because of the extreme danger of death or injury.”


Loading...

Loading...
Loading...