Latest News

Mother duct-taped 11-year-old son to chair and covered mouth before going swimming with daughter

By Mason White 1:00 PM June 9, 2017
Susan Malysa
Susan Malysa
By: Alexis Bell

(Scroll down for video) A grandmother called police after she found her grandson duct taped to a metal chair in the basement of his home.

The grandmother of Youngstown, Ohio, was afraid to remove the tape as she did not want to hurt her 11-year-old grandson in the process.

Officers said that the boy’s legs were taped to the legs of the chair, his hands were taped together and there was another piece of duct tape over his mouth.

Police found 32-year-old Susan Malysa, swimming in the Boardman YMCA, with her six-year-old daughter. She was immediately arrested on charges of child endangerment.

She was released after posting $10,000 bail. Both of her children were placed in the custody of family members.

The grandmother told police that she was worried about her grandchild after she asked her daughter if she can take the 11-year-old boy out for lunch.

Her daughter refused to allow him to go. She told her mother that she was going to the YMCA with her 6-year-old daughter and that the boy was staying home.

The grandmother went to the family home shortly after 11:30 a.m. That is when she found the boy tied to a metal chair in the basement.

When police removed the tape, they discovered dark bruises on the child’s face and neck. He was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital.

The grandmother said that the child has behavioral problems, but is otherwise a good kid. When the grandmother suspected that her daughter was abusing the child, she tried to get a counselor to help her grandson, but her daughter refused to allow the boy to talk to the counselor without her present.

Last year, the boy reported to a school counselor that his mother hit him with a hammer. He was removed from the home for some time, but his mother was never arrested and he was returned to her.

Now police intend to reopen that investigation as well.