Latest News

Man throws acid on face of woman on her 21st birthday while sitting at red light in London

By Mason White 11:03 AM June 26, 2017
Resham Khan and Jameel Muhktar (left) Resham Khan after the attack (right)
Resham Khan and Jameel Muhktar (left)
Resham Khan after the attack (right)
By: William Martin

A woman was looking forward to a having a great day on her 21st birthday.

She had planned her day, and spent time with her cousin before going to a spa and for a nice meal.

However, her day took a turn for the worse when she was traveling with her cousin.

21-year-old Resham Khan said that she and her cousin Jameel Muhktar, 37, were having a good time and playing music loudly with their windows rolled down.

At 9:00 a.m., they driving through Beckton, east London, and when they were stopped at a red traffic light, a man came up to their car and threw acid at Muhktar, who was driving the vehicle.

He then went around to the passenger side, and splashed the birthday girl with acid.

Muhktar quickly drove off, but he crashed the car. Khan wrote on social media that their clothes were burning their skin, so they both removed their clothes and begged passersby for water.

She wrote that it took 45 minutes for a passerby to stop and drive them to a hospital. Muhktar was placed in a medically induced coma due to his severe injuries.

Khan, a Business Management student who just got back from her exchange year in Cyprus and is enrolled at a university in Manchester, said that her eyesight was damaged, and her face and body had severe burns.

“I’m devastated. I keep wondering if my life will ever be the same. Acid attacks in the U.K. are unheard of for me. Just got back to the country. And now I’ll probably never look the same,” she wrote.

Khan gave police all the information she had about the suspect. However, so far, no arrests have been made.

In a press release, police said: “Officers from Newham and the Met’s Territorial Support Group executed a warrant at an address in E16 in connection with the incident. There were no arrests, the investigation is ongoing.”