Latest News

Man burns his home after pouring gasoline on wasp nest and setting it on fire

By Mason White 4:26 PM August 9, 2017
Wasp (illustration)
Wasp (illustration)
By: Emily Lewis

A man who wanted to get rid of a wasp nest, burned his home after using gasoline to set the insects on fire, according to firefighters in Canada.

The Thunder Bay Fire Rescue said that the homeowner learned a costly lesson why not to fight insects with fire after damaging his own house.

The incident unfolded on Monday, at around 12:00 p.m., after the man spotted a wasp nest near the exterior of his home.

The homeowner purchased a can of gasoline and poured it on the wasp nest.

He then set the wasps on fire. However, the fire quickly spread to the walls of his home. Firefighters responded to the scene, and extinguished the fire.

The home on South Rockwood Avenue, suffered damage as firefighters had to cut holes in the wall. Items inside the house were damaged by smoke. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters advised the man to use a pest control company to fight insects. After ventilating the home, the man was able to move back in.