25-year-old female bodybuilder suddenly dies after eating too much protein ahead of competitionBy Mason White 5:40 PM August 15, 2017
By: Emily Lewis WorldWideWeirdNews.com
(Scroll down for video) A young female bodybuilder died after fluid built up in her brain from ingesting too much protein, according to doctors in Australia.
25-year-old Meegan Hefford of Mandurah, was found unconscious in her apartment.
She was rushed to a hospital, where she was declared dead several days later.
Doctors determined that Hefford suffered from Urea Cycle Disorder, which prevents the body from breaking down protein.
Hefford was consuming a large amount of protein because she was a bodybuilder.
Recently, she took protein supplements to prepare her body for an upcoming competition.
Hefford did not know that she suffered from Urea Cycle Disorder. The large amount of protein caused ammonia to build up in her blood.
Eventually, the ammonia filled her brain with fluid and she died.
Hefford left behind her seven-year-old daughter and five-year-old son.
Supplements blamed for contributing to a young mother's death; she had a rare genetic condition that meant too much protein would be fatal. pic.twitter.com/N4yTJzxT0J— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) August 13, 2017