Latest News

Man burns down his house while cooking french fries

By Mason White 1:14 PM September 1, 2017
House destroyed from french fries
House destroyed from french fries
By: Emily Lewis

(Scroll down for video) A man sparked a house fire while cooking french fries on middle of the night, according to firefighters in Oregon.

The early morning house fire tore through a Lebanon residence on Mill Street on Wednesday, destroying the home.

The man was cooking french fries in oil on the stovetop when the expanding oil overflowed onto the burners and ignited.

According to Division Chief Jason Bolen of the Lebanon Fire District, the 52-year-old man attempted to put out the fire, but quickly realized that it was out of control.

He woke his girlfriend who was sleeping in a nearby bedroom, and the pair escaped the house with 2 dogs before calling 911.

The Lebanon Fire District received the call around 1:23 a.m., and initially responded with one truck, two medic units, a Battalion Chief, and two Division Chiefs.

The Incident Commander upgraded the fire to a second alarm due to difficulties accessing a reliable water source caused by the road construction project on Russell Drive.

Units from the Albany Fire Department, Scio Fire District, and Sweet Home Fire & Ambulance District responded to the scene.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within an hour and spent over 3 hours on the scene.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

“The Lebanon Fire District would like to take this opportunity to remind citizens to never fill a cooking vessel more than half-full of oil when frying and always remain in the kitchen whenever cooking.

“Have a fire extinguisher in your home and know how to use it, and ensure that working smoke detectors are present in each bedroom and on all levels of your home,” the fire chief said in a statement.