Woman suing Starbucks after hot tea killed her dogBy Mason White 3:39 PM September 14, 2017
By: William Martin WorldWideWeirdNews.com
A woman is suing Starbucks over the death of her dog that died after suffering severe burns from a hot tea.
58-year-old Deanna Salas-Solano of Colorado, filed the lawsuit in Denver District Federal Court.
She is seeking over $100,000 for damages, claiming that she and her dog suffered due to negligence from Starbucks employees.
Salas-Solano said in the lawsuit that she went to the Starbucks drive-thru at 5835 Leetsdale Drive in Denver, where she ordered tea.
Salas-Solano claims the lid was not secured properly on the 20-ounce cup, it did not have a hot cup sleeve and it was not double-cupped.
According to the woman, as she was holding the cup, her dog named Alexander jumped onto her lap, causing the unsecured hot tea to spill over her and her pet.
As a result, the dog suffered second-degree burns and later died of its injuries.
Salas-Solano was taken to Swedish Medical Center Burn and Reconstructive Unit, where she underwent surgery. She also needed skin grafts.
Starbucks said that they have surveillance videos to discredit the woman’s version of the events.
The company did not release the video to the public.
However, according to those who have seen the video, it shows Salas-Solano talking on her cellphone with her dog sitting in her lap as she took the tea from the Starbucks employee.
The video also reportedly shows the hot tea did have a hot sleeve and the lid appears to be secured before it spilled.
It is unclear whether the dog bumped into the cup while it sat in her lap, if she was distracted by the phone or if the contents was just too hot for her to hold before the cup was spilled.