U.S. Latest News

3-year-old boy dies at school after being fed cheese sandwich despite being allergic to dairy

By Emily Lewis 1:09 PM November 9, 2017
Elijah Silvera

The parents of a young boy in New York City are devastated after he died as a result of an allergic reaction at school.

The New York City Health Department shut down a school after 3-year-old Elijah Silvera was fed a grilled cheese sandwich despite being allergic to dairy.

On Friday, Silvera was playing peacefully at his pre-K class at Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem, when he was given a grilled cheese sandwich by an employee, despite them knowing and having documented that he had a severe allergy to dairy.

Silvera went into anaphylactic shock and was taken to the Pediatric ER at Harlem Hospital, where, tragically, doctors were unable to save him.

Silvera leaves behind his heartbroken mother Dina, father Thomas, and his 5-year-old brother Sebastian, as well as dozens of friends and family members who all mourn the loss of his precious young life.

“Elijah‚Äôs death was completely preventable. 5.9 million children under the age of 18 suffer from food allergies in the United States, that is 1 in 13 children, which works out to roughly two children with allergies inside of every classroom,” the parents of the boy said in a statement.

The New York City Health Department said that the school will remain shut until the end of the investigation.