U.S. Latest News

Mother dies of drug overdose after being contaminated while cleaning bathroom where her son overdosed

By William Martin 6:38 AM November 21, 2017
Ronald Plummer

A family will bury a mother and her son as they died one day apart.

Emergency workers were called to a home in Portage, Pennsylvania, after Ronald Plummer, 45, was found unresponsive in the bathroom at his mother’s home.

He was rushed to the Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown for a suspected drug overdose. While Ronald was at the hospital in critical condition, his mother stayed by his side.

She later went home, where she cleaned her son’s bathroom.

Cambria County Coroner Jeff Lees said that as 69-year-old Theresa Plummer was cleaning her son’s drug paraphernalia in the bathroom, she came in contact with an unknown drug.

The coroner believes that Theresa either absorbed a substance through her skin or had some sort of reaction to the paraphernalia after handling it. Full toxicology reports for the mother and son are expected within eight weeks.

She began having difficulty breathing and emergency workers were called. Theresa was taken to a hospital, where she died. Her son died the next day.