Africa Latest News

Director of safety organization dies after her phone caused gas explosion at service station

By Emily Lewis 8:23 AM January 15, 2018
Olori Opeyemi Omobolawa Fola

A woman who dedicated her life to helping others died in a freak accident.

Olori Opeyemi Omobolawa Fola of Nigeria was a well-known and accomplished woman, who helped people and appeared on covers of magazines over her accomplishments in helping less fortunate people.

She was a trained senior nurse who became the deputy director of O-Ambulance, a State of Osun safety organization. She was also the president of Rotary Club International.

Sadly, Fola died when she was at a gas station.

Fola went to the Grace Gas station in Osogbo to fill up a gas cylinder. While doing so, she got a phone call.

Witnesses said that as Fola removed her phone from her pocket and took the call, it exploded, setting her body and her car on fire.

Several people were injured as a result of the explosion.

Fola was pronounced dead at the scene.

People took to her Facebook page to express their shock and offered condolences over the sudden death.