Girl in critical condition after her body caught on fire while roasting marshmallows with best friendBy William Martin 12:22 PM January 9, 2018
A young girl is in extremely critical condition after her body caught on fire while roasting marshmallows with a man, according to police in Florida.
Fort Pierce said that on Sunday night, officers responded to the home of 18-year-old Hunter Holmes, and his parents, Robert and Stephanie.
Officers who arrived at the scene found 14-year-old Layne Chesney covered in wet blankets.
Her whole body was burned except the bottom of her feet.
Hunter, Robert, and Stephanie also suffered burns as they tried to extinguish the flames on Layne’s body.
Layne’s mother, 43-year-old Leigh Chesney, said that her daughter went to her best friend’s home to spend quality time.
Layne and Hunter were in the yard roasting marshmallows when a nearby gas can exploded.
The gas went on Layne and her whole body caught on fire.
Hunter, Robert, and Stephanie tried to put out the flames with their bodies and were all burned.
Layne suffered third-degree burns on over 95 percent of her body.
She was first taken to the Lawnwood Regional Medical Center in Fort Pierce and later to the Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami.
Doctors told the family that Layne won’t make it, but so far, she is recovering.
She remains in a medically-induced coma.